Saturday, November 6, 2021

Gladius

A lone surviving member of a small group of soldiers that out maneuvered and held off an invading army 3000 times their size?

Child of the Norsca, sold into slavery then trained to be a successful pit fighter, destined to wear a jeweled crown upon his troubled brow? 

A disgraced Legionary General from Estalia destine to change Tilea from inside the Arena?


Who knows. Who cares. He’s a bad ass with rippling muscles, a sharp sword and a giant mowhawk.



 

The miniature itself is Gladius from Citadel’s 1986 box set BC7 Heroic Fighters of the Known World, sculpted Jes Goodwin.

I went with a classic red for his color. It looks orange in these pictures but mellowed out significantly after a couple of coats of clear. This sculpt really shows off my love for inks. I added a couple of mushrooms to the base for some real old school flavor. They are painted with Vallejo fluorescents so they glow nicely under a black light!
One of the neat little details on this guy is that Jes sculpted a big comb, obviously for his big mowhawk, on his right hip. I painted it brass and it can be seen in the second picture here.
I have a couple other figures from this box set and plan on collecting them all. Ain’t this hobby great?

2 comments:

  1. Great paint job! And those mushrooms are great! What did you use to make them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for asking. I made the stems out of paper clips and the heads from “green stuff”. I really like the old skool mushrooms on the bases and I like to take it to the next level by painting them with fluorescent paint.

    ReplyDelete

Gaslands terrain

 I like to pop into my local dollar store every now and then to see if there is anything new that I can use gaming projects. Some crap found...